March 23, 2011

Taper Over; Time to Eat! (and find my gloves)

My taper weeks are over. Nothing left to do now but enjoy the fun part of training. EATING.

Taper Week 1
Wed Speed work; 10 x 400m at 5k pace (est. 5 mi)
Thurs 3 mi
Sat 4 mi (half marathon pace)
Sun 8 mi
Taper Week 2
Tues 4 mi (easy pace)
Wed 30 min tempo (pace up 5', 15'; down 20', 25') (est. 3 mi)
Thurs Eat. Jog.
Fri Eat, eat, eat.
Total Two-Week Taper Mileage: 24 miles
Sat Washington DC National Half Marathon

And after warm March weekends, even needing sunscreen one Sunday, the weather for this Saturday's race is cloudy, sub-freezing, with a chance of FAILstorm.

Don't think I can run 13.1 miles in my winter running pants without overheating, so there may be a late Friday trip to Pacers for a lighter-weight option or compression three-quarters to keep the wind off my legs. On top, I'll probably go with removable sleeves and start with light running gloves (which I'll no doubt end up carrying or uncomfortably wad up in my pockets for the final 6 miles).

Eh, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.