April 9, 2012

Junk Miles - Week of April 9


Rather than bombard Facebook with my nonsensical thoughts and continuous sharing of other statuses and links that I, and probably I alone, find useful...I've thrown them all together in a random blog feature.

Now the moment you've all been waiting for, April 9th's Junk Miles:




Pavement
  • Dear fellow runners, if we're participating in a sport that suggests CPR training for spectators, it may be time to rethink some of the distances gaining popularity...especially the ultras.
  • Want to get the most of out the "caffeine bump," don't drink it every day. Oops, too late.
  • I currently only use compression gear for recovery, as the science of running in it is still inconclusive. But I do wear compression on the bike sometimes to cut the wind a bit when it's chilly. Nice to know I'm considered a UCI sock doper.
  • In the wheeled world, it was a big week for cycling. Check out my previous blog post for a report on the Paris-Roubaix race results.

Peaks

  • Though my father and I are planning a traditional rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon in June, if for some reason we don't get a permit, our back-up plan of the Escalante Route looks like a great hike as well.

Personal
  • Coming up on my first road race, and first major injury recovery test, of the 2012 racing season with a duo of races down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Next Saturday is a 5k race up and over the Wright Brothers Memorial (heck of a hill) and then Sunday is the Flying Pirate Half Marathon, which includes some dirt roads and an impromptu mile of single track trail.