November 28, 2013

Turkey Trot Time!!

Though it's been cold and my long runs have sapped some of my speed, it's turkey trot season! So since I wasn't at the beach this Thanksgiving like years prior, I took part in two turkey trots this week.

First up was the Vienna Turkey Trot at the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department. I turned in a 18:52 (6:05/mi) time on a course that is mainly downhill through the turnaround and almost all uphill on the way back. That was good enough for 5th place overall and 2nd place AG.

The second was on Thanksgiving day itself on the W&OD Trail. The Giving Thanks 5k was a fairly flat course but it very a very, very frigid morning that felt like 10ยบ. I'm not sold on the course measurement, because though I held my pace well over the first couple miles and seemed on my way to another sub-19, I ended up finishing in 19:10 (6:11/mi). That time was good enough for the Mister Irrelevant position...4th overall. But I was first in my age group.