March 7, 2013

Indoor Trainer Workout: Flying 40 Intervals

Earlier this year I picked up the Flying 40 workout from Bicycling magazine, and it has quickly become my go-to workout when I want to spin up my heart rate and increase muscular endurance. Done in 15-minute blocks, the workout is easily tailored to the time you have a available, anywhere from two sets (30 min) to four sets (1 hour).

The workout:
  • Warm Up: 5 minutes; easy gear at cadence of 80-90.
  • Interval Set: 10 minutes of alternating 40 seconds of hard effort and 20 seconds of recovery. Complete the hard effort intervals in a large/medium gear and high cadence. For example, my 40-second intervals usually have a cadence of 105-115 and speed of 19-21mph. After 10 intervals, complete the set with 5 minutes of recovery spinning in an easy gear.
  • Repeat: Repeat 10-interval set two to four times for complete workout.
  • Cool Down: 5 minutes, easy gear and easy cadence.

(image from http://www.bicycling.com)